Monday, July 28, 2008

Teriyaki Bowl and Bugatti's

On Saturday, David and I headed west in search of Teriyaki Bowl, a Japanese restaurant I'd seen recommended on Yelp. It turned out to be a little hole-in-the-wall in a strip mall (which is true of a lot of restaurants in this area). Inside, there was a faded and extensive picture menu. I felt a little intimidated and nervous about the quality, but we decided to stay. Boy, am I glad we did. I had the ramen, which was excellent. The noodles were soft, but toothy, not at all mushy. The vegetables were well-cooked and flavorful. The chicken was especially tasty, as was the broth. I'm not sure if I can go back to packaged ramen now. I'd like to go back and try some of the other options. I'm pretty sure it's a family-run business; the man who took our order seemed to be the son of the owner.

David Update: I had a pot sticker platter, which was good, but the highlight was the Teriyaki sauce (at least to me). Very tasty, with excellent mouth-feel.

After lunch, we got a long-overdue car wash. (Most of the caked-on bugs from our drive up here came off.) Then we took northern streets to Washington Park. Of course, we missed our turn, and ended up going in the front entrance, which we'd never seen before, so that was kind of cool. We walked in the Arboretum for a while, and then headed off to do some shopping (Fred Meyer and Trader Joe's).

We've had the Transformers DVD checked out from Netflix for months. It was finally time to watch it. We picked up a pizza from Bugatti's*, a local Italian chain. The pizza was quite tasty; I'd like to go into the restaurant and try some other dishes. As for the movie, it was fun, but I had to have David explain things to me periodically. It was just too hard to keep the different robots straight. :) Shia LaBeouf was enjoyable in it, as he was in the new Indiana Jones movie. Thinking of him makes me wonder how often actors change their names these days. Are we finally at a place where Archie Leach could have been a movie star without becoming Cary Grant first?

*When searching for this website, I just made the connection between the word "bugatti" and the fancy car that one of my students was obsessed with last year.

4 comments:

Gina said...

as in "they feel nice on your teeth when you chew them"

sara j said...

i had the same question about the use of the word toothy.

Andrea said...

LOL--I noticed "toothy", but am well acquainted with "toothsome" as a perfectly respectable adjective from a novel somewhere and only paused momentarily. :)

Andrea said...

I love all the restaurant reviews! I wish you lived in Seattle so you could review the restaurants near me.

I will have to visit and sample some of the fine cuisine described herein....