On August 7, my parents and I took Mona for a walk at Sauvie Island. Now, before I go further, I want to let everyone know that according to Sauvie Island's tourism site, it can be pronounced either so-vee and saw-vee. I've met Portlanders who insist that it's Sauvie's Island (Saw-veez), but the official name doesn't have that apostrophe s -- that's a colloquialism I'm not up for just yet. :)
We did not go to Collins Beach, the "clothing optional" beach. Instead, we headed for a walk by Virginia Lake. It's a very marshy lake, lined with berry bushes and reeds. The berries are pretty tart yet. It was a warm day, so I was glad I'd worn a skirt rather than jeans.
We did not go to Collins Beach, the "clothing optional" beach. Instead, we headed for a walk by Virginia Lake. It's a very marshy lake, lined with berry bushes and reeds. The berries are pretty tart yet. It was a warm day, so I was glad I'd worn a skirt rather than jeans.
A view of the lake. I think there's a great blue heron in the center somewhere.
Halfway through the walk, we turned and started heading back on the other side of the lake, between it and the channel separating the island from the mainland. And the mosquitoes came out in droves. It was amazing! Pretty soon, I was doing a weird kicking walk, punctuated by constant slaps. Why didn't I wear jeans?!I managed to take a few pictures between slaps. The white stuff on the ground is some sort of plant fiber. Cottonwood? I'm sure I'm allergic to it, but it's very pretty.
The Multnomah Channel
The moral of this story? If my mom says "do you want to go for a walk?" say no. No, really, the moral is don't go walking near bodies of water without bringing insect repellent along, especially in the summer. Miraculously, I only ended up with 3 bites, on my leg. I guess my flapping slapping dance helped.
I wanted to head for an air-conditioned location that served cold drinks, but mom gets her way...
Let's go to a farm and pick fruit!
Heading off to pick peaches. This would've been more fun in the cooler morning, sans mosquito bites.I wanted to head for an air-conditioned location that served cold drinks, but mom gets her way...
Let's go to a farm and pick fruit!
Sauvie Island Farms.
A lovely fuzzy juicy peach.
1 comment:
Neat! Fruit picking! Yummy-looking peach.
I wish david had taken a video/photo of the "flapping slapping" dance walk. :)
Post a Comment