Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Masters program begins...

On November 14, my Masters program started. From 5:00pm on 11/14 until 5:00pm on 11/16, I was in class for 23 hours! I'll share just a few things from that weekend here:

Everyone brought in an item of personal significance and explained it to the group. Here are all the items together. Mine is the ball of yarn with a pencil and pair of chopsticks through it. Can you figure out that one? ;) This was the professor's way of tricking us into participating in storytelling.

The next day, we used oil pastels to color a piece of paper while listening to a piece of music and a story. (The Way to Start a Day, by Byrd Baylor.) It was so much fun to use pastels again! Then we matched up our piece with our "other half." Which side is mine?

Later, we took all the pairings and tried to put them together into a banner. These stayed out on the floor in various configurations the rest of the weekend.


On Sunday, we wrote definitions of "art" and tossed them into the center of the room. Then we gathered up a handful and read all the cards out loud. Finally, we got in pairs and put 10 of our cards into a poem. (This was how she tricked us into poetry.)

This is the poem that my partner and I created.

The final banner. We decided to go vertical! I put the images in this arrangement mid-day Sunday, so by Sunday afternoon, I figured it was safe to glue them down.

No comments: