I haven't posted anything this past week, although I've been glued to the computer. The reason is, I've been glued to sites like DailyKos and FiveThirtyEight. After 8 years of frustration and increasing disillusionment with the entire political system, it was amazingly affirming to watch the election results unfold. 65 million people (and counting) voted for the vibrant, intelligent, inspirational Barack Obama this fall. Apart from the dramatic victory he represents for racial equality, this is a man who has the temperament and dedication to be a great leader. At last! We can travel outside the country without feeling ashamed to reveal our nationality. At last! We can plan our first visit to Washington D.C., knowing that government is that much more enlightened. At the same time, 52% of California voters saw nothing wrong with revoking a fundamental right for a specific class of Californians, the gay and lesbian community. The passage of Proposition 8 was the low point of the election results for me. I've always thought of California as being a progressive leader for the rest of the country. It's sickening to see Californians vote to remove rights rather than expand them. It almost made me wish we'd retained our California registration, just so we could vote no on Prop 8.
However, in spite of Prop 8 -- a decision which I hope will be quickly overturned, if not in the courts, than in upcoming elections -- overall, it was a great triumph for hope and positive change.
Hamlet abridged
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment