On Sunday, I went to Gigi Salon Spa at Washington Square for a haircut. The stylist worked with me for a full hour, and we finally discovered what it was I actually wanted.
I've realized that I love many of the hairstyles from the 1930s. I think this style gives that feel, while still being modern. It's by far the shortest I've ever had my hair. I do need to go back this weekend and get a trim. One of the many fun things about curly hair is that weirdnesses in cuts will show up days later, as the hair decides to curl or relax in different ways.
We went straight from the mall to picking up my parents to driving downtown to go to Pasha, a Persian restaurant in a slightly sketchy neighborhood. I had heard via my belly dance class that there was going to be a Middle Eastern dance celebration that night. What we didn't realize until we arrived, was that Pasha is more a lounge than a restaurant, which in Portland means that they allow smoking. Fortunately, once our noses adjusted to the stale smoke smell, things were fine the rest of the night. (At the very end, someone started smoking at the bar, but we were on our way out.)
The food was tasty -- I had a chicken kabob with rice and currents -- and the dancing was fun. A number of the assistant teachers from my class did performances. The key performer of the night was Leyla Jamal, who was amazing in the Egyptian style. She layered shimmies on top of hip circles on top of belly rolls, and I don't know how she did it.
With the smoky thing and the scary neighborhood thing, I'm not sure how often I'll return to see dancing. I wonder how these bars and lounges will respond to the new smoking law that goes into effect on January 1, 2009.
We went straight from the mall to picking up my parents to driving downtown to go to Pasha, a Persian restaurant in a slightly sketchy neighborhood. I had heard via my belly dance class that there was going to be a Middle Eastern dance celebration that night. What we didn't realize until we arrived, was that Pasha is more a lounge than a restaurant, which in Portland means that they allow smoking. Fortunately, once our noses adjusted to the stale smoke smell, things were fine the rest of the night. (At the very end, someone started smoking at the bar, but we were on our way out.)
The food was tasty -- I had a chicken kabob with rice and currents -- and the dancing was fun. A number of the assistant teachers from my class did performances. The key performer of the night was Leyla Jamal, who was amazing in the Egyptian style. She layered shimmies on top of hip circles on top of belly rolls, and I don't know how she did it.
With the smoky thing and the scary neighborhood thing, I'm not sure how often I'll return to see dancing. I wonder how these bars and lounges will respond to the new smoking law that goes into effect on January 1, 2009.
No comments:
Post a Comment