Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Weekend in Portland - December 27, 2008

David and I generally go away for a few days between Christmas and New Years. We've gone places like Monterey, Carmel -- once we flew down to San Diego. This year, we had a whole new world of possibilities. I was concerned about driving to the coast or the mountains in pouring rain, so made reservations right here in Portland. A good thing, too: while the snow was melted off the metro roads by this time, I'm sure the roads out in the countryside were still snowy and flooding. As it was, we only had to drive -- without chains! -- less than 30 minutes to downtown Portland. We got the "snuggle up" winter package at the Heathman Hotel. Unfortunately, the hot cocoa powder that came with that package turned out to be chocolate mint. It tasted too much like those nasty chocolate mint flavored zinc tablets. We did not try it again.

Views from our window on the 10th floor:

The P is from a large "Portland" sign in front of the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall.


The Portland Center for the Performing Arts. That church-like building behind it is -- wait for it -- a church.

That evening, we walked around downtown, marveling at how the pavement was visible again. We ended up eating dinner at Porto Terra. David had a fancy risotto with artichoke hearts and more. I had rigatoni bolognese that was definitely unlike any bolognese I ever had in Italy, but was still tasty. The rigatoni were homemade and actually too undercooked for my taste. There is such a thing as too al dente. We also ordered a side of potatoes.

Our meal.


Dessert: tiramisu. I think I gave it 7.5/10 -- pretty good!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Presentation is more like a 9/10...