Thursday, October 16, 2008

Oregon generalizations

We've now been living here for 3 months, so I think I'm qualified to make grandiose sweeping generalizations about what things are "like" up here. In no particular order:

1) Portland summer weather
Summer days are in the 80s and sunny. Temperatures slowly climb all day, reaching their peak around 5pm. In the evening, the heat lingers -- things don't cool down until sometime during the night. Occasional rain storms cool things down for a day or two.

2) Smoking
Oregon is a few steps behind California. All restaurants are non-smoking, but many bars still allow it, including bar areas within some restaurants. I think all bars are supposed to go smoke-free by next January. It seems like a lot more people smoke in their cars, and they always open their windows so I have to put the air on "recycle."

3) Tattoos and piercings
It seems like practically everyone -- especially, but not limited to, the younger generations -- has a tattoo (or more) and/or multiple piercings. There are lots of tattoo and piercing parlors as well. Why? Is it the long dark winter nights?

4) Speaking of smoking...
There seem to be more cars here that are stinky. Are the air pollution standards not as strict?

Those are just a few of the things I've been thinking about. I'm sure I'll add on to this idea over the coming months.

No comments: