Here's something I really miss about California: that golden hill color with scrubby trees and tended fields. Although, you can find some hills like this if you go east from Portland.
Here's something I really don't miss about California: the huge freeways. This is somewhere in the North Bay/East Bay jumble.
The Marsh Road exit off 101. Palm trees and fog over the hills! I miss that dramatic fog fall.
As soon as we arrived that Sunday evening, we began packing up books and CDs. The rest of the week was a blur of packing and dinners with family friends, interspersed with watching Olympic coverage until late at night.
We had a very nice dinner at a family friend's house that Monday -- I got some home decor and design ideas as well, tucked away into my brain for when we end up buying a house. :)
On Tuesday, my sister came down from San Francisco and helped pack (!). We also watched a Spanish language talk show on TV because there was nothing better on. Isn't cable great?
Sara throwing oranges at her own sister. I do miss having oranges on hand outside, even though I can't remember ever having picked and eaten one. Lemons I miss more. Meyer lemons are so tasty, and useful in cooking. I wonder if there's any way to grow them inside in Oregon.
We had a very nice dinner at a family friend's house that Monday -- I got some home decor and design ideas as well, tucked away into my brain for when we end up buying a house. :)
On Tuesday, my sister came down from San Francisco and helped pack (!). We also watched a Spanish language talk show on TV because there was nothing better on. Isn't cable great?
Later that day, my sister came down again and we went to Red Mango for frozen yogurt. We brought my mom along and now she's agreed to come with me sometime to Clackamas Town Center to frequent the only Portland Red Mango location. Another convert!
Mmmm. Raspberries and mini Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips. I wonder if they have Ghirardelli chocolate at the Portland location, or if they use a local chocolate.
The moving day is a bit of a blur. I went around making sure my inventory was complete, and spent a lot of time out on the patio or in the back room, comforting Mona, who was weirded out by the whole thing. When the house was finally empty, it still didn't look empty. I think there's just too much personality embedded in the walls and fixtures. I hope the young family renting it for the next year enjoys living there.
I didn't take any pictures of the empty house, but I did document the view out my bedroom window. It's slightly different than it used to be, with the new fence and lack of plum trees and brush covering the old fence.
I didn't take any pictures of the empty house, but I did document the view out my bedroom window. It's slightly different than it used to be, with the new fence and lack of plum trees and brush covering the old fence.
My oak tree squirrel hotel.
It took us hours to get out of the Bay Area. Here we are driving through Niles Canyon.
We stopped in Ashland for lunch on the second day of our drive. I can see it's a place David and I should return to, whether for the Shakespeare festival or not. There are lots of nice restaurants and neat shops to explore. I found some punny store names, but didn't get pictures. My favorites were the flower shop, Eufloria, and the vitamin shop, "All's Well." We arrived back in Portland on Friday, 8/22. Whew!
1 comment:
i was actually throwing lemons. i never picked oranges either.
Post a Comment