Thursday, September 18, 2008

New job - Part 2

I'm halfway through the first month of work now. It's turned out differently than I expected: more child care and less teaching than I would prefer. But the nice thing is that it doesn't take up too much of my spare time.

In case you're interested in my schedule:

I start at 2:00, but sometimes come in earlier to have more set-up time. From 2:00 to 2:45, I set up the room -- it's a shared space, so I have to bring things out every day -- which means putting out drawing materials and toys to play with. I also prepare snack, prepare for whatever activities we're doing that day, and update my class list for that day. At 2:45 the kids start arriving; they check in with me and then go play or eat snack. Around 3:10ish we clean up and go outside to play. Then follows 30-40 minutes of recess duty. It's not that bad when it's sunny but not hot. Before 4:00, we bring the kids in to play a game and talk about the project for that day. We work on the project (optional) until around 5:00, when it's time for second snack. The hour from 5:00 to 6:00 is a mix of clean-up (we have to wash all the tables with soapy water and then spray them with bleach!), dishes, and recess. Making this even more crazy is the fact that kids are being picked up at various times throughout the afternoon, so our numbers are constantly changing.

Obviously, I enjoy the project time most of all. That's when I get to work with kids and help them with things. It's too bad that project time is so short. I struggle with the balance of letting the kids enjoy playing outside or inside, and sticking to the structure necessary to allow all the activities and clean-up to happen in time to go home at 6:00. I guess I'm not used to doing clean-up and maintenance type things when the kids are actually there -- those were the things that always had to wait until after school, since I was squeezing every last drop out of the day for focusing on the kids.

So, while this is a fine position for me right now -- it allows me to work in a "teacher-like" position and gives me time for doing things like working on my blog in the morning :) -- it's not something I see myself doing long-term. Next year I might look into teaching some after-school classes. That would still be part time, but it would be more academic while still being fun. I could teach art classes or science classes. Or maybe I'll go back to full-time classroom teaching, but I don't know how I can get back into the arriving at work at 7:30 am thing again. Yikes!

No comments: