Sunday, September 21, 2008

Waterfront Park and Saturday Market

After lunch at Goose Hollow Inn, we continued toward the river and searched for a place to park. (Not too hard, if you're willing to pay.) We then strolled practically the entire length of Waterfront Park.

Salmon Street Springs. The fountain changes to different formations. We saw lots of kids (and adults) playing in the water when we returned to our starting point an hour or so later.

We began by walking south, under the Hawthorne Bridge, all the way to the I-5 Marquam Bridge. There was a lot of activity going on -- live music, merchandise tents, food and beer tents. Portland packs a lot of celebration into these sunny summer weekends.

We caught some of the heats for the Dragon Boat races. I just learned that this was all part of Portland Riverfest 08.

We walked all the way down to the swanky condos by the I-5 bridge, then turned around and went back north, passing many hardy-looking dragon boaters along the way. At the Burnside Bridge, we happened upon the Saturday Market, a cool mix of food, crafts, incense, henna, art, and a variety of other stands. Someday I want to go back with a couple $20s and play. This time, I got myself a cup of Oregon marionberry ice cream (from Great Northwest Ice Cream Co.), which tasted a lot like marionberry cobbler.


In the Saturday Market. I didn't realize elephant ears were a Portland treat. (I had them at the Oregon Zoo. Yummy fry bread covered with cinnamon and sugar.)

No comments: