Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Snowy woods

We continued our walk up to the Nature Park. I had been curious what the snow would look like there -- would it get down under the dense foliage? The park was open; there were even a few cars in the parking lot.

Not a bad spot for a barbecue.... Maybe later.

My question is answered: the snow certainly did get below the treetops.

I love the geometric shapes that the tree trunks and branches make.


More shapes, made increasingly visible by the snow.

David is happy now that he has his scarf covering his nose.

Snow weighting down branches of ice-coated needles.

An ice-coated twig, with flash!


I generally dislike using a flash, because it changes the colors, but in the case of snow and ice, it makes for some interesting effects.
In normal days, this is a boardwalk over swampy marshland.

I learned what happens when you take a flash photo in a dark, moist, cold setting. (That's the flash reflecting off my breath.)

This breath is kind of rainbowy.


This streetlight cast a pinkish glow on the snow.